Monday, April 15, 2013

Armoire Part I


I had been looking for an armoire when we were still living in the apartment because space was really getting low. We found this one on craigslist for under 100 and I figured we could rehab it in some way to make it like new. We had almost finished the rehab when we moved and...

Well we needed to rehab our rehab project.

Here you can see that we painted over the off-white with true white. I will post the next step tomorrow.

A tip for finishing white-painted projects. Traditional oil-based poly will tint it yellow. That was one of our unfortunate discoveries. In order to get true white, or even close to it, you need to get water based poly that says "crystal  clear" on it. TRUST ME!



That being said, the water based isn't as tough for protecting against scratching, so you need to put quite a few coats on. On surfaces that see wear I do up to 5 coats. It's worth the extra work in the beginning!

Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment